Attendance questions: Jordan Rosendall, Attendance Secretary: 240-566-9403
E-mail absent notes: OHS.Attendance@fcps.org
ATTENDANCE – ABSENCE/EARLY DISMISSAL
Students are expected to maintain acceptable attendance. Poor attendance may result in lack of academic progress, ineligibility for extracurricular activities, disciplinary action, and loss of academic credit. The following attendance procedures and policies apply to all students (FCPS Regulation 400-98 Student Attendance):
Returning from an Absence
- Within two school days of an absence, students must provide a note from a parent/guardian to the attendance office to excuse the absence.
- All written notes must include the date(s) of absence, the reason for the absence and the signature of the parent/guardian.
- Notes and attendance documentation may be emailed to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who were absent have the right to make up class work missed and to have this work reviewed and evaluated by the teacher to be included in the grade. Students have the responsibility to request and complete missed work.
- Students who miss 10% or more school days (excused or unexcused) are considered excessively absent.
- When a student has accumulated 5 unlawful absences per term, 10 unlawful absences per semester, or 20 unlawful absences per year, the principal/designee may develop an attendance contract with the student and parents. The student who successfully meets the requirements of the contract, as determined by the principal/designee, will receive earned credit.
Accumulated Absences from School
- After the 10th day of absence, excused or unexcused, per semester, the student may be required to present a doctor’s note for each subsequent absence.
Late Arrivals to School
- Classes begin promptly at 7:30am. Teachers will close their doors and begin class immediately.
- Students arriving to class after 7:30 A.M. must report to the Attendance Office for a late slip.
- Missing the bus, over sleeping, and traffic problems are considered unexcused lates.
- If a student has 3 or more unexcused lates, they will be issued Lunch Detention.
- After the 10th day of excused lates in a given term, students are required to present a doctor’s note for each subsequent late arrival. If a note is not presented, the lateness will be marked unexcused and consequences will be assigned.
Early Dismissal from School
- Students who need to leave for any reason during the school day must present a written note from a parent/guardian to the attendance office at the beginning of the school day. Phone calls to front office staff requesting early dismissal of a student should be the exception, not the norm.
- Attendance staff will attempt to verify all notes and will issue a pass to the student upon verification.
- Students leaving campus without a pass will be considered truant and will receive disciplinary consequences.
- Parents must report to the Attendance Office to sign out their student.
- Students must sign in at the Attendance Office upon their return to school.
Illness at School
- Students who are ill must have a pass from a teacher to report to the health room.
- Health room staff will evaluate students and contact parents as necessary.
- Students may not arrange parent pick-up without seeing the school nurse.
Vacation Days and College Visits
- Absences for family trips or college visits will be excused with prior administrative approval.
- Students should complete and return the Vacation/College Visit form to the Attendance Office prior to the planned absences.
- Students are responsible for notifying teachers of the absence and arranging make-up work.
- FCPS policy permits students taking trips with their parents to be excused no more than twice during the school year for a combined maximum of five days.
- FCPS policy permits students to visit prospective colleges for up to four days per school year.
Extracurricular Activity Participation
- In order to participate in a game or practice, a student must attend school for the full day. This means students must arrive to class by 7:30am and be in class through 2:15pm at the end of the school day.
- The administration may waive this policy in the case of extenuating circumstances.
- If a student arrives after 7:30am or leaves school at any time during the day because of extenuating medical or family reasons, he/she must appeal to the Coordinator of Athletics for written permission to participate in that practice or match.
- Any appeal must include documentation (i.e. physician’s note for a doctor’s appointment).
- Proper approved documentation from the administration must be shown to the coaching staff prior to being eligible to participate in the athletic event.